Re: HyperDAML bug?

From: Mike Dean (mdean@bbn.com)
Date: 05/03/01

Thanks for the feedback.

> could you fix the HyperDAML code to recognize ".html", ".asp", ".jsp" in
> the resource and simply redirect the web browser there?

Unfortunately, it isn't quite that simple.  HTML may have
DAML embedded in it, file suffixes are optional with most
servers, and tracking file suffixes is a never-ending
proposition.  The right longer-term solution is probably for
HyperDAML to act based on the MIME type, but we don't yet
have a DAML MIME type and the new W3C RDF Core Working Group
is just beginning to tackle that issue for RDF (with
suggestions like text/xml+rdf).

It would also be helpful if RDF had a means of
distinguishing references to other RDF instances from
arbitrary resources.  With DAML+OIL (March 2001), it may be
preferable to use xsd:uriReference DatatypeProperties for
such foreign references.

> Or HyperDAML could parse the linked resource document looking for the string
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1'?>

I like this idea!  Unfortunately, many DAML/RDF documents
don't use this, including

  http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil (we should fix this)
  http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema

A reasonable hack might be to only generate hyperdaml links
for references containing #fragments, but that doesn't help
in your case.

	Mike