Re: Some questions/comments on the DAML draft (no operators)

From: Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Date: 10/16/00

[some of these questions/comments are starting
to make my brain hurt, but some of them are easy.
Rather than making the easy ones wait for the
hard answers, I'll answer in parts...]

pat hayes wrote:

> >pat hayes wrote:
> > >
> > > In DAML-ONT:
> > >
> > > </Property> <Property ID="disjointUnionOf">
> > > <label>disjointUnionOf</label>
> > > <domain resource="#Class"/>
> > > <range resource="#List"/>
> > > <comment>
> > >
> > > for unionOf(X, Y) read: X is the disjoint union of the classes in
> > > the list Y: (a) for any c1 and c2 in Y, disjointWith(c1, c2),
> > > and (b) i.e. if something is in any of the classes in Y, it's
> > > in X, and vice versa.
> > >
> > > cf OIL disjoint-covered
> > > </comment>

[...]

> > > <! QUESTION: what is the value of your disjoint-union when the
> >classes arent disjoint?>
> >
> >er... the same as the "value" of any other false assertion,
> >such as 5<4.
>
> Nah, but your disjoint-union isn't an assertion, its an operator.

Yes, it is an assertion.

In what way is
	The class C is the disjoint union of the classes
	in the list L.
not an assertion?

> So
> what its value is when its ill-defined is not so easy to specify.
> Thats why I jumped on it, in fact: your definition is half assertion
> (the arguments are disjoint) and half operator/function (like union
> or intersection), so its neither fish nor fowl. One of the nice
> things about the classical operations like disjoint-product is that
> they are pure function, no assertion, so they always have a
> well-defined value.

[...]

--
bind default <http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/kb>